Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Saga Continues...

I had set my mind on keeping the container of creepy crawlies until Lucas could see them tomorrow. I was totally set on that.

Then, as we were tucking in to read our bedtime story, Sebastian said, "Mommy, did you know that one of the baby praying mantises got out of the jar? He was crawling on the top of the lid. What if he goes behind the freezer?"

Um... excuse me? "Did either of you open the lid?" (Please say yes... please say that's the reason the little critter got out... please.) No's all around. Then all I could think of was a garage full of hundreds of praying mantises. SO not happening! So, I put story time on hold. With what determination I could muster, driven by the fear of a house full of insects (LOL), I went straight out to the garage, snatched up the jar, and took it out to the back edge of the property. I opened the lid as quickly as I could and laid the container underneath a big, low-hanging pine tree, where the little guys could have some protection. Then I ran! *snicker* Yes, I ran back to the house, envisioning this big swarm of beady-eyed bugs chasing after me. Well, not really, but sort of.

So anyway, later this evening, I was talking to Lucas on the phone, and he said, "Aw, I wanted to see them." Instantly guilt set in, as I knew I was just being a big gigantic scaredy cat earlier. So, at 10:00 at night, with an itty bitty flash light, I headed back out to the edge of the property to find the container. I had to flick a few bugs off of the rim so that I could close (and tightly snap, might I add) the lid. But there were still several in the jar (not sure as to whether any of the remaining bugs are still actually alive, but THAT is not my issue... at least Lucas can see them). After tomorrow, once he has seen them to his satisfaction, I will re-release them... for good this time I think.

By the way, are there coyotes around here? When I was out there, I heard a big long howling sound coming from the direction of a wooded area about a mile away from us. Yup... I ran back to the house for a second time. Sheesh.

No comments: