Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So, the trick is to trick them

For days now I have been trying to get the boys to willingly play outside - get fresh air, exercise, do something other than sit. All of my efforts have been greeted with 'It's too hot.' 'I'm bored.' 'I don't know what to do.' 'How long until I can go in?' ... Nice.


Knowing full-well that today was supposed to be in the nineties, I braced myself for grumbling when I suggested story hour at the park today. To my surprise, I was greeted with excited cheers and enthusiasm. So, we packed up our lunch, got dressed up in our play clothes, and headed out at 10:45. We were at the park until almost 2:00, and left only because I knew I had to lay Meagan down for a nap.


But that was not the end... Once Meagan was down for the count, the boys - get this - asked to go back outside and play. On the hottest day we've had for weeks! So, I set up the snake sprinkler, and they had a blast. We took a snack break for ice cream bars, and then swapped the sprinkler for the slip-n-slide. When Meagan woke up, she joined in. Finally, at 4:30, I turned off the water and forced them to go in. I was afraid they were going to get overheated, or that I was going to melt...whichever came first. But, FINALLY, a day of normal kid activities, full of fun and energy and make-believe and imagination. I guess the trick was to trick them into forgetting how much they didn't want to be outside.

No comments: