Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2007

My Husband, My Hero.....Again

Well, I haven't posted in a few days because Wednesday, I think it was, I had a computer catastrophe. The boys had been playing 'making zoo' while I was folding laundry. Isaac came running up the stairs and says, "Mom, Sebastian did something!" which usually means he accidentally opened up a new tab in the browser, or he's accidentally gotten onto the 'print' screen or something. It's never really anything worth worrying about...so I didn't worry about it. Later that night, however, I went to my desk, all ready to start scrapping, but the computer wouldn't turn on. Hmmm...that's odd. Maybe it's unplugged? Oh well, I'll look into it tomorrow. So, I went to watch a movie instead.

When Lucas came up to bed, I told him that I thought maybe the boys unplugged my computer on accident, but he didn't seem so sure that was the problem. Low and behold, the next day he looks at it and determines that my power supply had gone bad (which, I guess was probably not so very difficult for him to diagnose, since it was actually glowing while the computer was not turned on). Well, Friday after work, he headed up to Circuit City to get a new power supply. Got it installed, only to find that my mother board was locked up.

Today at lunch he says, well, I'll just get a new mother board and reinstall Windows. (EYES BULGE, LUMP FORMS IN THROAT, PALMS SWEAT...well, not really, but I knew it wasn't good). Um, Honey-Dearest....."YOU CAN'T REINSTALL WINDOWS UNTIL YOU RECOVER WHAT'S ON MY HARD DRIVE! ALL OF MY LAYOUTS ARE ON THERE!" Yes, I know about the importance of backing up, but no, I haven't backed up for a while. Why? Well, because whenever I'm at a point to back up, he's gaming, and the man nearly has a coronary if I cause lag on his computer while he is playing. And I just don't think about it during the day.

So, his crazy computer wheels start spinning in his head, and he figures out something that just might work...He puts my hard drive into his computer and transfers the files to his computer. As far as I could tell, everything was there. The only thing left is to do the same for my second hard drive ... just in case. WOOOO HOOOO! I love being married to a computer junkie! Even though some of our conversations sound an awful lot like the Peanuts teacher (whaa whaa whaa whaa), it comes in handy when I do stupid things like not back up for months!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well since this was the second time you almost lost your files from not having a backup, one would think gee "I spend all this capturing life long memories that I might take a little time to make backups." And as far as I know, he doesn't game during the day. I have no sympathy at all. Love ya....

Anonymous said...

Well....I can relate to Bec. Her Father-in-law does the same thing ;-)