Pages

Monday, August 27, 2007

This may not be funny to anyone else, but....

Hey Kelli - are you reading this? I just got the biggest laugh at your expense this weekend LOL! But let me back up and tell this story properly...

For YEARS now my poor mother has been hauling box upon box of my things from one house to the next (I think my parents may have a moving addiction, LOL), and for almost 7 years now, (ever since we bought our first house) she has been chomping at the bit to hand the boxes over to me and get them OUT of her closets (yes, more than one closet - there are that many boxes). Well, since I was down there visiting this weekend, and since she has waited for so long (and since she cornered me in the room and forced me to stay until we had gone through every box - LOL), we went through all of the stuff she has been storing. In doing this, I came across an old school box I used to keep on my window ledge (in the house that used to be your house). It was full of really random odds and ends - a bookmark that said Becky; some Awanna ribbons; a 'Super Kid' award that I'm sure I did nothing to deserve; and even some little toothpick people and wooden-people-jewelry (don't ask) that I used to make habitually. (Oh, and one cool thing was a little baggy that had 3 friendship bracelets that I had made. The kids all wanted to wear them, so they each picked one. I guarantee when I made those back in second grade or whatever, that I never imagined my children would be wearing them.)

Anyway...I found 2 notes in there. One was hand-written in really smudgy pencil. It was from Scott from way back in the day when he was my 'boyfriend' when we were about 7 years old. He had written I love you, but then had second thoughts so sort of half-way erased it (hee hee). The second one was a typewriter note from YOU! You wrote it when you were getting ready to move back from Baltimore. It was pretty short, and didn't say tons, but the last line actually made me laugh out loud (maybe less because it was really funny and more because I know you LOL). It said, 'A joke, I wanted to be a baker but I couldn't raise the dough.' End of note. I got quite the laugh out of it...and even now, reading this post, I'm laughing again. I brought it home with me so I could show you Friday (assuming I remember to bring it along).

At first, I wasn't sure why I thought it was so funny, and then it occurred to me. Of all the things we could have said to each other in all the time you were away, we choose to communicate as though we still saw each other every day and this was just like picking up the conversation where we left off the day before. Like there was nothing else to be said, because we've said it all, so we'll tell baker jokes. Just typical goofy stuff from Mutt to Jeff (or was I Mutt and you were Jeff? - you'll have to ask your dad). Anyway, it was good for a laugh and for a moment of reminiscing.

(Maybe the funniest part of all of it was that I actually kept that note for the last twenty years. Your turn to laugh at me! See you Friday!)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

This is SO funny. I don't remember that note at all, but I have no doubt I sent it. :)

You need to check out my post. I think I just might have 'one-uptya'. Don't ya hate those people?

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.