Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Where's the 'Invisible' Button When You Need It?

10:00 this morning - we left the house an hour before story hour so I can run to Wal-Mart for diapers and wipes, which I'm running dangerously low on. We got out of the van and headed into the store. Since we were only going to be there for a minute, I skipped the cart and let all three kids walk. We headed straight to the back, grabbed what I had come for, and headed to the front to pay. This is where it all began. Isaac and Meagan were about 20 feet in front of me, and since they were running, the gap between us was widening. I called for them to stop and wait for me. Isaac listened and stopped right away. Meagan didn't. So now there's me, about 35 feet away from them, hands full with a big bag of diapers and a big box of wipes (Sebastian at my side). Then there's Isaac stopped in the middle of the isle, looking back and forth between me (where he was supposed to be) and Meagan (who was still running away). In a split second, his head turned back and forth between us a few times, and I could see the wheels turning.... what to do, what to do? Then, as quickly as he had stopped, he took off running after his sister. He jumped in front of her, and stopped, facing her, arms and legs spread wide to try to block her forward progress. Then, at the top of his lungs, he yells, 'Stop running! Mommy said stop!' Equally as loudly, she yells back, 'No Isaac!' 'You have to, Mommy said!' 'No Isaac!' Then it happened... He barrel hugged her and tackled her to the ground. He then grabbed her by the hand (while she's still laying on the ground) and starts dragging her by the arm down the isle toward me. The whole time, she's kicking and screaming 'No Isaac! Stop it!' while he's screaming, 'Mommy said we have to stop!' I couldn't decide whether to laugh or hide! I was definitely wishing, at least for a brief moment, that I could somehow turn invisible, and no one would know these were, in fact, my children. But, since no invisibility button was to be found, I approached them as calmly as I could (not wanting to add to the scene they were already making), and put a stop to the madness. It was actually pretty funny, but also thoroughly embarrassing!

No comments: