Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Are you serious!!!???

Okay, it has been BEAUTIFUL weather all week. So what's up with freezing our fingers and toes off this morning for Sebastian's first soccer game?! Brrr! I think it took us a solid 45 minutes to thaw.

Can I just tell you how very funny the whole soccer coaching experience is? Ignore for a moment the fact that I know NOTHING about the sport - as in, Tuesday was our first practice, so Tuesday afternoon I looked up 'how to play soccer' online...LOL. This game was a bit of a train wreck today! In a cute way, that is! The boys all did their best, but clearly there are some fundamentals to be established still. For example, the defensive players, who aren't supposed to cross center field were all over in front of the net at the other end of the field trying to score, while the offensive players seemed afraid to leave center field...??? Some of the wreckage was my own fault, I will very readily admit. I thought I was prepared for the line-up rotations, but I had only planned on switching players at the change of each period. Since it was so cold, though, I switched them twice a period to keep everyone from getting too cold. It seemed to keep their attention and keep them moving pretty well, but it threw in a whole element of chaos that I was NOT ready for. Oh well. We had the typical game-stoppage for untied shoes, and one kid totally disappeared for a potty break for a few minutes. Two or three times when we changed the line-up, we ended up with either six or four players on the field rather than five. LOL. It was definitely good for a laugh! And still, somehow, at the end of it all, several of the parents told me they thought I did a great job, and they liked the rotations. Hmmm...okay. (We lost 2-1, in case you were wondering).

No comments: