Pages

Friday, April 11, 2008

Tuesday

Tuesday morning I went into work for the sole purpose of figuring out some issues I've been having with financial statements. For weeks, I've been trying to figure out why things weren't working right. I kept thinking I must have done something wrong, classified something wrong, whatever. Tuesday morning I was able to narrow my problems down to one particular thing - checks that we'd written weren't decreasing cash on the balance sheet. So it looked like we had way more cash than we do, plus the balance sheets weren't balancing.

At least now I knew what the issue was, I just didn't know how to fix it. So I called the manufacturer of our accounting software. I was on the phone for an hour and a half. At first, I tried to explain what I was having trouble with, but the guy just couldn't comprehend what I was talking about. So then we went a step further, and I gave him access to view my screen as I was working. That helped. But I could tell he was in no way familiar with accounting, because he was just simply CONFUSED. Finally, after nearly an hour on the phone, we had a break through, and HE GOT IT! So for the next half hour, we tried troubleshooting. At one point he actually said to me, 'Um, okay, I think I need a break to go take some headache medicine. I'll be back' and he put me on hold. That was a first! A funny one at that! Poor guy! Ultimately, it was determined that the program is just not designed to do what I want it to do, and I will have to find a way to work around it. Okay. Well, that sort of felt like a lot of time wasted. At least I know that it's not something I've done horribly wrong, and I can stop trying to fix it! That's something, I suppose.

Tuesday night, the kids and I went to small group and let Lucas have the house to himself after his rough day with very little sleep. Hayden and Julia (some of the boys' friends, and Isaac's girlfriend *LOL*) were there, so they all got to play together. However, Sebastian had made up a game of house / work, and Julia had decided she was going to play that game. Isaac, on the other hand, wouldn't play it for who-knows-what reason. The bulk of the night, Isaac sat and watched the girl of his dreams (lol) give all of her attention to his brother. At the end of the night, he said to me in the saddest Isaac voice, 'Mom, I think Julia likes Sebastian more than she likes me now.' My first thought was, 'Oh my goodness! Is this really starting already?!' I explained to him that Julia is his friend and Sebastian's, and that everyone can be friends together. Blah blah blah, standard Mommy talk. But he felt better and picked his chin up a bit, so I guess it worked. That's what moms are for!

No comments: