Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2008

BLUE and GOLD

For us, this day started around 6:45, when I rolled out of bed and jumped in the shower. Trust me, I'm not usually up and getting ready any time before 7:00 on a Saturday (and not before 8:00 if I can help it), but today we were on a mission...leave by 8:30. Why? Because today was the Blue and Gold festival at Notre Dame, and we had tickets. We had plans to meet Shane and Tina on campus as soon as we got there and spend the afternoon hanging out and watching a little football.

We managed to leave our house at 8:35 (only 5 minutes off target...phenominal...slightly less impressive when you take into consideration the fact that we got down the road and around the corner, only to realize that we forgot something...so we re-left our house at about 8:40. Still, 10 minutes is GREAT when the plans involve 3 kids on Saturday morning before 9:00. We didn't actually get out of town until closer to 9:00, since we had to stop at the bank and then stop to get gas.)


For the early part of the day, it spit a little rain, and we wondered how the weather would hold for the football game. I am pleased to say, though, that the weather was perfect while we were in the stadium, and it didn't start raining until we got in our car to leave campus.


As far as campus events, we had lunch at the Student Union (pizza), then we walked around the main courtyard area. We went in the Basilica - Isaac was worried we were going to church, and we would miss the game (LOL). We saw the golden dome, and 'Touchdown Jesus.' We went through the rec center, and I took a pit stop at the Varsity Shop to get a couple ND shirts for myself (since everyone was decked out in ND jerseys, and I no longer have any ND clothes that aren't stained or torn...or way stretched out from wearing them while I was pregnant!!).


The kids did pretty well during the game - they got a bit antsy at times, but they did okay. They definitely provided a few moments of comedy throughout the day...like when Meagan took her jersey off and then put it pack on upside down - head through the head hole, head hole down around her waist, arms through the arm hole, and head sticking out of the bottom opening of the shirt...what a goofball!) It was a long day for them, and they were pretty tired by the time we got back in the van to head home. The boys watched a movie the whole way home. Meagan fell asleep before we ever got back to the turnpike.


We had an interesting little incident on the turnpike on the way home. We were buzzing along, cruise set on 70 - which is the speed limit - and we just were talking. The radio station was fuzzy, so I was messing with the radio, trying to find a better station. The next thing I knew, Lucas was slowing down, and we were driving over the rumble strips. I looked up, then I looked in the mirror...state trooper lights were flashing right on our tail. My first question was, 'Were you speeding?' He said that he had cruise set at 70 the whole time, which I remember noticing (because I was feeling like we were going kind of slow...I'm used to Michigan driving, I guess...no comments, all you Ohio people!!) So, the trooper walks over to my side of the van, asks for license & registration. Asks me if I'm Rebecca. I said yes. Asks me if I've had my seat belt on the whole time. I said yes. He said, 'Oh, okay. When you were leaning forward earlier (I guess when I was changing the radio station), it didn't look like you were wearing it. I just wanted to check. Have a nice day.' And he walked off. Okay. That was different. Not sure what that was about really, but I'm thankful it was that easy!


Anyway, I put together a collage of some of the pictures we took today, so I could use it as my background on the laptop. I thought I'd share it with you. I must say, after being away from campus for so long, it felt really nice to be back there, even for just a short time. I would love to go back maybe once more this summer and take it easy, at a little slower pace. We stayed at the stadium end of campus today, and we missed out on a lot of my favorite things I remember about being on campus...the lakes; the most beautiful tree God ever created; the grotto; the main bookstore; my old dorms; the open courtyard area...lots of stuff!



Okay, it's late. I'm thinking I might go soak in the tub and unwind for a bit. Have a wonderful evening! I'll check back with you soon!

No comments: