Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's a great day to be Mommy!

Happy Mothers' Day to all of my mommas... to my mom, Nancy, and Jane... and to all of my friends who are mommas like me, still making our way through the challenges of mothering yet-t0-be-grown-up children.

Yesterday I think I was at a low point for being a mom. Nothing majorly bad happened, but there was a moment when one of the kids did something they really shouldn't have, and I thought, 'Am I even making any impact on their lives? Do they get it at all?' I wasn't feeling like the most effective mom in the world, that's for sure.

But God quickly reminded me of the importance of being a constant presence from beginning to end in the lives of my children... that consistency, perseverance, and habit-forming practices will serve to shape and mold their personalities, directing them to become the adults they will someday be. And this morning, I felt very encouraged, and overwhelmingly blessed!! Even now as I think of it again, my heart swells with love for them, and tears fill my eyes. It's a huge responsibility, and a daunting task when you really think of it. But I can only work with today - it's all I have.

So really, it's just a one-day-at-a-time role. It's about making the best choices with what I have now; instilling the necessary wisdom in this moment; correcting what needs to be corrected right now. Any mistakes I've ever made, harsh words I've ever spoken - they're all in the past... done and over... can't be undone. And all of the things to come have yet to arrive, so I can do nothing about them either.

All I have is today - the day for moms - the day where I got homemade hand prints and magnets and pictures made with love - the day I got to read stories to the boys and play dolls with Meagan. I am so thankful for these things! Today is a good day to be Mommy!

HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY!



***

No comments: