Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

One for Slow-Motion Replay

I have to tell you, yesterday morning I pulled a classic move! I was ready to leave for work, so we headed out the door. As we were walking over to Nicole's to drop the kids off, I realized that I had forgotten something in the house, so I told the kids to go on ahead and I would be there in just a second. I went back inside, grabbed what I needed, and headed out again.

Well, to catch up with the kids, I decided to pick up the pace a bit. Instead of walking, I opted for a slow jog. So, I'm jogging through the side yard, down the little hill, doing just fine...UNTIL...I get to the edge of the driveway, where Nicole has her yard toys for daycare lined up. This would have been that point that a wiser, more patient person would have slowed the pace and STEPPED carefully over or around the toys. But not me. I maintained my little jog thing I had going on, and I picked my leg up to hop/step over a plastic lawn mower. However, the toe of my flip flop caught on the mower...and that was the end of my upbeat jog.

I totally wiped out! I took a face dive straight into the car that was parked there, planting my left cheek straight into the rear quarter panel. And apparently I also put my right arm out to try to catch myself, because I took the hardest blow to the funny bone a person could ever imagine. My cheek bone was throbbing, and my entire right arm was tingling and paralyzed. I sat there for a second, alternating thoughts between, "I wonder if my arm is broken" and "I hope none of the neighbors saw that." After sitting there a moment to fight off the feeling of nausea that I often get with large spikes in pain levels, I got up and went into the house.

It was several minutes before my arm moved at all, and probably a few hours before it was back to functioning properly. I had a welt on my elbow for probably half of the day, but by mid-afternoon, the swelling had gone down, and I was left with only a bruise and a scrape...and a much more comic perspective than I had had on the whole event when it first happened.

While at first I was praying that no one saw, now I sort of wish someone had actually caught it on video so I could go back and watch it all. I wonder if it actually looked as funny as I imagine it did? At any rate, I bet that would be good for a belly laugh to watch that in slow motion!

No comments: