Pages

Friday, July 4, 2008

What a Week!

What a week! Wednesday evening, while we were eating dinner, a big storm blew through. At first it was just sheets of rain. Then we heard a plunk. Then another. Soon it was more of a pelting, as marble-sized hail covered everything. So, we hung out in the basement a while until it passed. After a break, another storm blew threw. Then it went back to a regular old storm for a while.

Around 9:00, the phone rang. It was the plant calling for Lucas because the elevator broke, or something. What I got from his end of the conversation was this: 1) it was bad, 2) it was plant threatening, 3) it was going to take a LONG time to fix, and 4) he was going to be working in the highest part of the plant, maybe outside, in the middle of all these strong winds, rain and lightening. When I got up the next morning, he still wasn't home. In fact, he called me at 2:00 in the afternoon and told me he was just heading home and he was going to crash. So that was from 5:30 Wed. morning until 2:00 Thursday afternoon being up and working. That's a long time. I tried to cheer him up by telling him now he was like a crab fisherman, working 24 hours + without stopping. His response...'Yeah, but I don't make $80,000 in a week.' Valid point. I stopped trying to cheer him up after that.

Anyway, I found out Thursday that the tornado sirens had actually gone off in the south part of town, and two or three tornadoes had gone over our city. Nice. Today, the kids and I made a trip to a zoo about a half hour from here. We had a great time. It's not like Toledo's zoo - there are fewer animals and lots more walking. But it was still very enjoyable. I was bummed, though, because my camera battery died half way through the day, so I didn't get many pictures at all. At least I got a few! Also a bummer that Lucas couldn't go with us because work wouldn't stop calling. He was afraid if he went he would have to turn around and leave. So I think he just took it easy today (whenever he wasn't on the phone with the plant).

No plans tonight for the 4th. I have no idea if there are even any fireworks going on anywhere, but I know Lucas and the kids are all pretty tired, and it's not worth the effort of finding fireworks if everyone is too tired to enjoy them. So we'll just hang out and be together. Hope you all have a happy 4th of July!







No comments: