Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mohawk Remorse

Yesterday when we left for our date (dinner and a movie), the boys were excited about their new hair cuts. This morning at breakfast, I got a glimpse of a different story when Isaac said, "Mom, I don't want to go to church like this." It progressed into something worse when, just when we needed to leave, Sebastian was slow to come down stairs because he was in tears. When I asked him what was wrong, he said, "I want different hair."

Hmmm...

We went to church...with mohawks...because there was not time to do anything else. Plus, Lucas and I - although it was much harder on me than on him - both thought there were a few things they could learn from this experience. Like 1) when you make impulsive decisions one day, you have to live with them the next.... or 2) Life is full of trying things - some work out, some don't - and we have to learn to respond to both... or 3) Your appearance doesn't determine who you are... and on and on. (We did actually talk about a few of these things through the course of the day, so I'm not just delusional that my 6 & 8 year old's would pull these lessons out of the sky.)

So anyway, after dinner, Lucas buzzed Sebastian's hair. Now he has some super-short hair, but he is mohawkless. (The funny thing is that Isaac had thought about buzzing his off too, but after he saw how short Sebastian's hair turned out, he opted to keep the 'hawk. LOL). The good news is, their hair grows faster than the weeds in my flower bed, so it shouldn't take long before we can work them back toward hair cuts their more comfortable with.

I think this may be our last mohawk experience. That would be okay with me.

No comments: