Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

I can't believe my baby girl is THREE! Where does the time go? She's getting so big so quickly! But thankfully she's still so little!

When I woke up this morning my first thoughts were of the day she was born. Three years ago at this exact time, I was feeling anxious, getting ready to leave for the hospital for our 8:00 check-in time. I was a bit nervous, and so excited to meet her. It was a bit bitter-sweet for me, because I knew it was the last time I would go through pregnancy and delivery (although I was a-okay with the delivery part!).

I remember laying on the table in the OR, waiting with anticipation for Lucas to come in and be with me, waiting for the doctors to start, wondering if everything was going to go as it should, praying that everything would go as it should, praying for peace in a high-anxiety situation. Then Lucas came in, sat beside me, held my strapped-down hand (LOL).

Not long after, we heard the sound of a first itty bitty baby cry, followed by several solid minutes of baby screaming. One of the doctors jokingly said, 'Oh, it sounds like you two are going to have your hands full with this little one." We had no idea how accurate that statement would be! Our baby girl came out making herself heard and letting her opinions be known, and it hasn't stopped since. She is such an amazing, strong person.

This past year has been probably the toughest year of parenthood for me. It seems like she and I have gone round after round, battling for 'I'm the boss' position. She is continually pushing and challenging to see what she can and cannot do. It seems, though, that in the past month or so, we've seen signs of progress. She is a little quicker to obey, a little less likely to defy her punishments...a little. But we all change a little at a time. We learn a little at a time. We move forward step by step. She is learning that every time she challenges, Lucas and I will stand our ground, time after time after time (which is quite exhausting sometimes, but necessary nonetheless). While our relationship is, for now, challenging at times, I am thankful that overall our relationship is more of a blessing than a battle.

No comments: