Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Last day of Kindergarten!!

Yesterday was Sebastian's last day of kindergarten! (as I wipe a tear) We started the morning off with pictures outside. We got pictures on his first day, so we may as well get pictures on his last day - to see how much he's changed and grown. I told myself I wouldn't cry - and in the morning, I did fine...until the bus came. I got a little choked up, maybe a little teary eyed. But I wouldn't say I cried.

Nicole was nice enough to watch Meagan and Isaac for me in the afternoon so that I could go spend the day at school with Sebastian. It was their field day, and I just didn't want to miss it. When I walked into the class room, he was super excited to see me. They were all getting ready to head out to the field. We headed out as a class. They were split into groups of about 6 or 7 students each. I followed behind and watched, and I noticed that his teacher always had someone at hand. It didn't matter who it was, but it seemed like everyone wanted a turn at her side, and she was more than willing to oblige. I could tell that, although I'm sure every moment of her job is trying, she does it because she loves those kids. She's a sweet lady.

The first even was the 100 meter dash. At each event station they had a 'hot dog' spray painted on the ground where the kids were to stand and wait when it wasn't their turn. Hot dogs....soooo, Sebastian and two of his friends decided if they were standing on a hot dog, they must be ketchup, mustard, and pickle. Leave it to Sebastian. Anyway...they had several events...

1 - 100m dash, 2 - softball throw, 3- sponge shuttle (a race to transfer sponges from one bucket to another), 4 - mystery game (good ol' golf ball on a spoon relay), **insert potty break here** 5 - obstacle course, 6 - water fill game (boys against girls - boys won), 7 - rest station (Popsicles and tug of war - is that resting?), 8 - soccer challenge (which Sebastian kicked butt at, by the way), 9 - high jump (which Sebastian totally cheated at by first jumping on the mat and then jumping over LOL), 10 - sack race, 11 - tire bowling (no picture of that, but pictures of Sebastian & friends at that station), 12 - big ball race (hysterical), 13 - T-ball blast, 14 - 100 meter hurdles (2x4's on cones LOL), 15 - deep sea dive (get 1 marble at a time out of a little pool and run and put it in a bucket - but I guess that name was too long for their tags).

He had a great day. So did I. He laughed and played and just truly enjoyed the day with his friends, his teacher, and me. It was so worth being there. I am so grateful I was able to go. All day I was doing great - no tears, no sadness, no choking up...good. Then, as his teacher handed out final folders, year books and report cards, she dismissed those whose parents were there. Sebastian put his folder of stuff in his book bag one last time. Then this...

Sebastian: 'Goodbye Mrs. Long. Thank you for being my teacher.'
Mrs. Long: 'Goodbye Sebastian. I'll miss you.'
Sebastian: 'I'll miss you too.'
Mrs. Long: 'Will you remember me tomorrow when you don't have school?'
Sebastian: 'Yes.'
Mrs. Long: 'Will you remember me the next day too?'
Sebastian. 'Yes.'
Mrs. Long: 'Will you remember me this summer while you're playing?'
Sebastian. 'Yes. I will remember you always.'

I turned and faced the wall as tears swelled and ran down my cheek. What a sweet heart that little boy has. How much love he has for those in his life. He will not be little for long. When everything else changes, as it inevitably does, I hope his heart stays the same.

The slide shows above are of his last day. The first slide show is before school. The other 3 are done in order - all of the events that I listed above, pictures of friends, etc. I had too many pictures to fit into one slide show.

No comments: