Pages

Friday, June 22, 2007

Yin and Yang

Today I learned that one 20-minute bike ride can do amazing things to highlight the contrasts in personalities between Sebastian and Isaac. We started off at the foot of our driveway. Our mission was to ride down our street, head to the road that runs behind our house, and make our way through the parking lots and back. Simple enough. We all started out together (Meagan in tow behind me). Immediately, the differences began to shine through. Sebastian went full speed down the driveway and flew into the road with hardly a glance for cars. Isaac walked his bike to the very foot of the driveway, climbed on, looked two or three times for cars, and then cautiously pulled out onto the road. Sebastian sped as fast as he could down the street, making sure we all knew he was in front - he was the fastest - he was the leader. Isaac pedaled along at his own leisurely pace, content to stay behind or beside me, talking to me and to Meagan through the whole trip. Several times I had to call to Sebastian to come back and be patient - 'You're getting too far ahead,' I would say. Several times I had to look over my shoulder to make sure Isaac was still with me. Once, he had actually stopped to check something out on the side of the road (while Sebastian, of course, was still going full-force ahead of us). As we passed other people, Sebastian sped by them without so much as a glance. Isaac watched everyone we passed, and for those on foot, he would slow down and wave at them until they waved back, making sure to say hello. Isaac noticed several things along the way - certain flowers, birds, bunnies. Sebastian was a blur.

As I was in the bike ride process, I was just trying to stay balanced between Speedy and Poky. But as our ride came to an end, and we were just going around in circles at the end of our road a few times, I realized how very different the two of them are. They are put together in completely different ways for completely different purposes in life. Sometimes difficult for me to balance, or figure out for that matter, but very cool nonetheless.

No comments: