Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pre-Team?!

This week the boys each did a trial class of gymnastics at the same gym where Meagan is taking classes. Isaac's class was on Tuesday. Sebastian's was on Thursday. And, as always, Meagan's was on Wednesday. So, yes, we were at the gym for 3 days in a row.

Isaac's class went well. He did great! He staid focused, he listened, he tried new things, and he did pretty well at it. I was really proud of him. Afterwards, the coach approached me and said that Isaac had done really well, and he would love to see him in the program - that he has a lot of skill and he thinks he could really do well. Isaac's feedback was that he really really liked it, and he wanted to sign up right NOW!! I told him we would wait until after Sebastian's Thursday class and sign everyone up at once.

While we were there Tuesday for Isaac's class, Meagan's coach approached me and mentioned to me that she thinks Meagan is getting to the place where she is "doing circles around the other kids." She told me she has a lot of talent and "crazy potential." She mentioned that in September they are doing an invitational class that is for younger kids who are too young for team but need more of a challenge then the average toddler class.

Sheesh!

So then comes Thursday - Sebastian's class. He did great. Got right in there, picked up on things really quickly, and just all-around hung with everyone in his class. I could see he was doing well, but I was also talking to a friend of mine who was there, so I wasn't really watching with much scrutiny. At the end of the class, I asked Sebastian how he liked it... trying to get a feel for whether it was something he was interested in, and did I need to sign him up for a class. He was BEAMING! He was so excited! He just about talked my ear off about how much fun it was and all the new things he had tried. Okay okay, I get it! We'll put you in a class.

So, I found Sebastian's coach to ask him his thoughts... just, generally speaking, was this class a good fit for Sebastian, etc. etc. I was pretty much expecting him to say, yes he did fine, blah blah. I was taken completely off guard when he said to me, "He did great! And actually, I think he would be a better fit on team." Honestly, I think I didn't even make a response. But I must have made a funny face, because he followed that up with, "or pre-team at the very least, if you're not sure about team yet."

Okay. Not at all what I was expecting to hear. My head had not even for a moment processed that as a possibility. I talked to the coach for a few more minutes. He explained to me why he thought Sebastian should be moved up, then asked me my thoughts. I told him I would think about it, but that at the very least, Sebastian would be back for next Thursday's class.

After talking to Sebastian about it, and then to Lucas, and then to the lady at the reception desk (who, in great detail spelled out the financial and time-commitment aspects of pre-team and team... eeek!), and then thinking on it, and talking about it some more, we have decided to give it a try. So, Tuesday is Sebastian's first pre-team practice. He will practice on Tuesday & Thursday. Isaac will practice on Tuesday (after Sebastian), and Meagan on Wednesday. I have a feeling I'm going to become more familiar with the gym than I had ever imagined in a very short time! But, if this is something Sebastian is excited about and wants to commit to, at least for now, then we'll go with it.

No comments: