Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Stuffed Peppers Recipe

At the request of Kelly, one of my online buds, here is the recipe I used for the stuffed peppers. I'm sure any variation of the ingredients will work just fine. I just happen to be a short-cutter due to my lack of love for cooking, so I just make stuff up! (*LOL*) 3 medium/large green peppers - I cut them in half, then cored them... this actually left a hole in the bottom of each 1/2 pepper. At first I was concerned, but it actually worked out just fine, so I can give no reason to make it more complicated... anyway, (as simple math dictates) this made 6 stuffed peppers. 1 lb ground sausage - I used Italian seasoned sausage, but I'm sure any flavor, or probably even ground beef or ground turkey, would do just fine. I chopped up just a bit of onion, threw it in with the sausage & browned it. 1 package of Rice a Roni Natural Long Grain Wild Rice - While the sausage was browning, I slightly under-prepared the rice in a microwave dish. I think the instructions said 21-25 minutes...I did about 20. Still some water left, and the rice was al dente. When the microwaved beeped, I dumped the rice, water & all, into the browned sausage. 1 jar of pizza sauce - I used pizza sauce simply because I had opened a jar earlier today for Isaac to dip a pretzel in. I figured I may as well finish using it. It was probably around 10 oz. I'm sure any version of tomato sauce/marinara would be fine. Anyway, I just dumped the sauce into the skillet, and mixed it up with the sausage & rice. Shredded Mozzarella cheese - I put about 1 cup into the sausage mix and saved the rest to go on top of the peppers. At this point, the 6 pepper bowls were sitting in the baking dish. Next steps:

  • Scoop the sausage mix into the peppers.

  • Top with the rest of the cheese (about 1 cup)

  • Pour ~ 1/8 - 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the baking dish

  • Cover with Foil

  • Bake at 400 for 40-45 minutes

  • Remove the foil and bake ~ 5 minutes longer to brown the cheese

There was lots of liquid in the bottom of the dish, but it didn't affect the meal at all... I think it just helped to steam the peppers thoroughly, actually. And the best part about the whole thing was that I had 45 minutes of baking time to play on the computer!! :)


** Using the Rice-a-roni and pizza sauce, 1 pepper = 20 carbs, for anyone who might need that info. **

No comments: