Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Holy Moly Batman, You're covered in red spots!

It started yesterday around 3:30, when I got a call at work from Nicole saying Meagan was running a 102.6 fever and was complaining of being dizzy (I didn't even know she knew what dizzy meant, but apparently so!) and saying her thumb hurt really badly. So, I packed up and left work earlier than planned. When I got to Nicole's the kids were having snack, and Meagan seemed to be acting fairly normal, other than when she would get up to walk she was a little woozy, and she screamed like a maniac if anyone even looked at her thumb. We examined her poor little thumb, but it was so black/blue/purple and ugly that we couldn't see anything because of how dark her skin was around the opening. As a precaution, I called and made an appointment with our family doctor for this morning at 8:30. And that was that...for a while.

When we left Nicole's I loaded the kids up in the van and made a bank run. On our way back home, about a block from our house, Meagan says, 'I have a full tummy.' I figured she was full because she had a pretty big snack of pretzels and apple slices, and I didn't think much of it...that is, until we walked into our house and she threw up all over the kitchen floor. 'I spit out on the floor!!!!!' she wailed! I took her coat of (yes, she threw up down the inside of her coat...lovely, isn't it?) and got her into the bathroom and got her cleaned up. So now I'm thinking, is this because of a bug, or is her thumb infected and that's what's causing it. Still, I didn't see anything overly alarming about her thumb, so I decided to wait it out and see how the evening went.

Her fever fluctuated quite a bit through the evening, spiking up but coming back down to a reasonable level with Tylenol. She didn't each anything at all for dinner, but she was drinking fine, so I didn't push the issue. She laid on her Dora beanbag couch (thanks Grandma & Grandpa!!) and watched TV most of the evening. Occasionally she got up and attempted to play with the boys, but she kept finding her way back to Dora...I could tell she wasn't feeling too well. Around 7:30, I went into the living room to check on her, and she had fallen asleep on her Dora couch. When we put the boys to bed at 8:00, we just left her where she was and let her sleep.

When Lucas and I went up to bed around 10:00, she woke up. So, we drug her Dora couch and her blanket up into our room and let her sleep on the floor in our room (we figured she was inevitably going to wind up in our room at some time during the night anyway, so we may as well be proactive and just stick her in there to start with *LOL*). She watched American Idol with us, and eventually fell asleep. She had a rough night, waking up every half hour or so, so I didn't get a lot of sleep, but no worries...I had already braced myself for lots of interrupted sleep.

I was surprised though, when a noise woke me up around 1:30 or so. I figured it was Meagan again, but when I peeked down at her, she was sound asleep. Then I realized our bathroom light was on (funny how things take a minute to register when you're tired). It was Sebastian. He had come into our bedroom - probably to tell me he wasn't feeling well - and ended up in our bathroom getting sick. Poor guy. But any suspicions that Meagan's thumb was causing her sickness went right out the window...now that 2 kids are at it, it's more than likely a bug.

I got Sebastian straightened out, cleaned up, and back into bed (on a blanket on the floor so he could get to the bathroom faster if he needed to). After that, for the most part, the night was pretty uneventful.

We woke up late this morning for the doctor's appointment, so we were kind of rushing around to get dressed and ready. I was in my room looking for clothes for Meagan (because all of our clean kid laundry is in baskets in my room right now), when Sebastian came in. "Mom, my back is really itchy. It's driving me crazy!" I figured he had dry skin, like he often does. I told him to turn around so I could check it out, but I was not expecting what I saw when he picked up his shirt. His entire back, neck, sides, and lower torso, as well as forehead and hairline were covered in red spots all over. My first thought was CHICKEN POX. But at closer look, the spots didn't look like I remembered chicken pox looking. Thankfully, we were heading to the doctor.

Well, as I ultimately suspected, Meagan's thumb was not the trouble. She has a bug that seems to be going around...so does Sebastian. But Sebastian also has some other upper respiratory junk that he had to have an antibiotic for. And what's the deal with the rash? Our doctor said it's an immune system reaction to something his body is fighting off...how getting an itchy rash is supposed to help your body, I have no idea. But he gave him a steroid to treat it. So, obviously, no school for Sebastian today. No church for anyone tonight, and tomorrow is yet to be determined. I guess I'll spend today cleaning the house since I can't really get much work done from home right now. We'll just go with it, and I'll try to get our house germ-free so we can be done with all the yucks! Keep us in your prayers!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

That's weird. Andrew has a bug one time that caused a fever. When the fever broke he broke out in spots, too. Of course, I called the doc and told them and they were like, "Good!". What?! Apparently the spots were a good sign that the fever was just a bug and not caused by something worse. Weird. Hope you are all feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

LoL we just had a 24 hour bug tour the house as well. Garrett is/was the last one to get over the last two days.