Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

What about Second Breakfast?

Well, Sebastian returned to school today, still itching a bit from his *hives?* but, all in all, feeling much better.

As he was heading out the door this morning to get on the bus, I reminded him that he was buying lunch today.
"And I do need more lunch money, Mom," he said, as though he had told me this at least 20 times before.
"Why would you need more money? Did you give your teacher the money I sent at the beginning of the month?"
"Yes."
"Then why do you need more money?"
"I don't know. Ms. Kelly just keeps telling me I need to bring more lunch money."
"That doesn't make sense. I sent plenty for the whole month. I'll call and see what's going on."
"Okay. Bye Mom."

As soon as he got on the bus, I called the school to figure out how he could possibly be low on lunch funds already. Lo and behold, my dear, darling, lovely six-year-old has been buying breakfast and lunch every day since the beginning of November. !!! No wonder I keep getting statements from the school saying his funds are getting low. I'm only paying them enough for lunch! LOL! So, he's eating breakfast at home every morning, and then going off to school to eat a second breakfast! I'm raising a hobbit!!! ("What about second breakfast?" any Lord of the Rings fans out there?) *LOL* So, I told the lady at the school to put a breakfast block on his account for now to limit the amount he's spending.

When he got home from school today, I asked him if he's been eating breakfast at school. At first, he started to say 'no' but then stopped himself and changed his answer (hallelujah! the child is finally figuring out that we often already know the answers to the questions we ask!) I told him that that was why he was running out of lunch money - because he was spending his lunch money on breakfast instead of lunch. I don't think he realized it was costing money every time he got breakfast. They don't actually exchange money for food - it's all done on account, so he would really have no way of knowing how much he was 'spending' at each meal. He told me he was sorry and he didn't mean to use up his money. No big deal - how can I be upset when he never knew, and I never told him. All that's left to do is to pay off the $15 deficit I owe the school at the moment...and apparently I'm going to have to start feeding the child more at home before he leaves for school!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember when his father and uncle would go to the racquet club to swim and I would get a monthly bill from the snack bar for some odd reason. they would always get pizza and drinks....not anything cheap. It just comes natural.

Anonymous said...

Or he could be as resourceful as Garrett and grab a twenty from my night stand and give me his change back. LOL