Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Flipped Out!

I forgot to post this earlier this week:

Wednesday, I took Meagan to a trial gymnastics class. There is a gym about 25-ish minutes from here that has inexpensive classes that are geared specifically for kids her age. I called to ask about it, and they said I could come and try it for free. So, we loaded up Wednesday morning, and headed to her first gymnastics class. I was curious to see the caliber of class, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was easy for her to stay focused, but it was designed really well, so that she learned fundamentals while having fun. It was really very good.

The coach was actually the head coach & gym owner. He had stations set up for them. Two different bars stations, to teach them how to support their own weight on the bar, and also how to move around the bar by doing a pull-over (obviously with spotting) and a dismount; a trampoline station (a crowd favorite - but it made them focus on controlling their body movement by staying in the small open area on the tramp); a vault station - essentially running down a mini runway, jumping onto the spring board and landing with both feet on a 2-foot mat...very cute, and probably my favorite to watch); floor stations (forward rolls on an incline, headstands against the wall, cartwheels, and bridges; and beam stations (moving every imaginable way along the beam - forward, backward, sideways, crawling, bear walking, kicking, and dipping...also very cute!).

The class lasted 45 minutes. At the end, I asked her if she liked it, and if she wanted to do it again. Her response was a resounding YES. So, I registered her for class. We'll do the fall season and see how it goes, but she seems to be taking to it very well. Now my only challenge is to find a leotard small enough to fit her! Her next class is this Wednesday.

No comments: