Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Run for your life !

Tuesday was our first meeting for our small group since our summer break. It was a pretty casual night, just getting acclimated and reoriented, which meant there was no set child care in place. No big deal. My kids are used to playing independently, so I wasn't worried about them. They all went out in the back yard and played flag football for the first hour at least. When it started to get dark, and a little cooler than they preferred, all the kids came inside and split up to either the upstairs or the basement. Again, no big deal. It's a pretty kid-friendly house, since the family that lives there has 2 young kids of their own. The night went smoothly, with no hitches...I thought.

That night, as I was helping a very tired Isaac get into his pj's, I noticed a raw spot on his hip. I asked him what happened, and he said, "I don't know," which typically (especially in Isaac's world) translates into I don't want to say because I might get in trouble. I knew he was tired, so I let it go. I put some Neosporin and a few band-aids on it, and put him in bed.

Then yesterday on the way to church, one of the kids on the bus asked Isaac what he did to his arm. I looked at him, and I noticed a scrape across his wrist. So I pointed to it, but the other kid said, "No, not there. Under his arm." So now my curiosity was peeked. I checked him out, and he has a pretty big, now-scabby scrape all the way up the underside of his arm. Okay, now I knew something was up. Still, he was sticking to his "I don't know" story.

Finally, last night as I was helping him brush his teeth, I asked him once more, and I got the story (probably because Sebastian was there to help fill in the blanks, LOL). Isaac told me, "I was on a running thing and I couldn't do it and I fell on the wall." Hmmm.... processing.... processing .... I wonder if Scott & Renee have a treadmill? So I asked, and sure enough, there was a treadmill in the basement, and the boys decided to give it a go. Sebastian admitted to trying it on 8, but he said he couldn't do it. So, since he couldn't do 8, what's the next best thing to do? Talk your little brother into trying TEN of course! Poor Isaac said he put it on 10, and then let go because he couldn't run that fast. I'm sure you can figure out what came next. Yup... he flew off and crashed into the wall.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a horrible mother, but I had to crack a smile, and it was a challenge not to out & out laugh. That's just a funny mental picture to me! Poor little guy... too bad I didn't have a video camera on the event! That would have been priceless footage! As it was, there was no video taken. In fact, they kept it so quiet - no crying, no tattling, nothing - that I didn't even know it happened. Signs of things to come, I believe.

No comments: