Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

So I don't forget...

Today's outside play time provided a few funny memories. I thought I'd jot them down so I don't forget about them. They weren't really anything spectacular, just entertaining to watch.

1) The ice cream truck came down the road. They decided they were going to get ice cream. So they all stood together, side by side, shoulder-to-shoulder on the sidewalk, like a united front for taking down the ice cream man. When he drove past, the all started waving frantically. The truck kept going. Didn't stop. Didn't even look their way (which I thought was a little odd...but okay, since they didn't have any money to buy the ice cream anyway). When the truck had past completely, Isaac turned, and in a very authoritative voice, pointed toward the front yard and said, 'Well, back to our game.' That was the end of that. They were off and running, and forgot all about the ice cream truck.

2) Sebastian was obviously in the mood for baseball, but Lucas and I were still inside cleaning up after dinner. So, he decided to pitch to himself, which constituted chucking the ball as high up into the air as he possibly could, and then 19 times out of 20 running like a crazy man around the yard to try to catch it because it had traveled so much. So he was mostly just running back and forth around the front yard randomly swinging a bat at thin air. I saw him actually hit the ball once...also straight up in the air...on its way back down to earth, it missed hitting him on the head by about 2 inches. He is funny stuff.

3) Meagan has taken up a morphed form of ballet/gymnastics/hip hop, and had ample dance space in the front yard. She was boogieing like nobody's business today. Who knows what song she was playing in her head...apparently music is optional for her new art form. She is also funny stuff.

4) And one for the inside play time... While I was cleaning upstairs today, Isaac went in the basement to play Lego's, Sebastian went in his room to draw, and Meagan hung out in my room on the bed. She has really developed an interest in mirrors lately. She really likes watching her reflection as she does things. So she stood on my bed in front of the mirror today, watching herself make funny faces, do her ballet/gymnastics/hip hop dance moves, jump up and down, spin, twirl, and just generally move. I'd say it kept her occupied for at least a half hour. As she was experimenting with movement and reflection, she also took up singing. She had several colored popsicle sticks in her hand - all different colors. And she apparently wanted to decide which color was the best. She started singing 'Which one is the best, which one is the best, which one is the best?' over and over and over and over and over.... you get my point. I'd say that went on for at least ten minutes (of the thirty or so). It was very funny - she changed her voice inflection to go up and down like songs on the radio. I kept thinking, 'I wish I had a video tape to record this,' but no empty tapes are currently available in my house...gonna have to remedy that quickly in case of another song & dance performance. Anyway, finally, I needed (for my own sanity) to put an end to the 'which one is the best' song. So I said, 'Which one do you think is the best?' She stopped singing, stopped jumping, and stopped looking at herself in the mirror. She looked down at her hand and studied them for a few seconds before declaring BLUE to be the best. Then she hopped down off the bed, and took off running...off to a different game. I guess she answered her own question!


Somehow in the midst of all of this, we all managed to work together to scrub, sweep, dust and vacuum the entire upstairs - all 3 bedrooms, both bathrooms, and the hallway. And that includes four loads of laundry (washed, folded, and put away...that NEVER happens in my house!) and completely gutting Meagan's room of toys that are being transplanted to the basement. It was a busy day. But it felt AWESOME to take a shower in a shiny clean bathroom!

No comments: