Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Yummies

I would say I am in the middle of baking, but I haven't actually BAKED much of anything yet. Started out mixing up some Muddy Buddies (followed the recipe right on the side of the Rice Chex box). Kids love it! Then saw a recipe on the side of the box for a non-sugary mix... It has garlic powder & chili powder & parmesan cheese. I used the general recipe, but used mixed nuts instead of peanuts, and I added 2 cups of white cheddar cheez-its. Pretty tasty. It stunk up the house, though... once you mix it all up you have to bake it for 15 minutes.... closest thing I've done to actual baking all day, but I'm not sure it really counts. And then there's a Christmas favorite. I have NEVER really figured out what hamburgers have to do with Christmas, but for some reason, these guys have been a part of Christmas for me from way back in my childhood. Mike used to make them each year, and they were my favorites then. Now, my kids request them as Christmas cookies every year. I don't make them really any other time of year... just Christmas. The original recipe uses Keebler Grasshopper cookies for the hamburgers. Sebastian & Isaac don't like mint at all, though, so I've had to improvise. Last year I used chocolate covered fudge cookies. I couldn't find them this year, though, so I used peanut butter-filled chocolate cookies from Meijer. We'll see how they turn out. Recipe (if you can't figure it out from the picture *LOL*) Vanilla Wafer cookies Chocolate hamburger-looking cookies Icing (I made cream cheese frosting... I'll put that recipe below) Food coloring Shaved coconut Optional: sesame seeds & honey or Cairo Syrup to top the buns

  • Mix food coloring in small quantities of separated frosting to make red, white (no food-coloring needed), and green; Mix green food coloring with shaved coconut

  • Cover bottom Vanilla wafer with white frosting

  • Next place the cookie

  • Put a small amount of green icing on top of the cookie

  • Cover the green icing with green shaved coconut

  • Cover bottom of a second Vanilla Wafer cookie with red icing & place on top of the coconut shavings

  • If you want, put a DAB of honey or syrup on top of the top vanilla wafer and sprinkle with sesame seeds

  • Refrigerate to set frosting


Cream Cheese Frosting:


4 oz room-temp cream cheese


1/2 tsp vanilla


1/2 stick butter, room temp


1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar



  • With electric blender on med speed, mix cream cheese & butter for about 2-3 minutes until very smooth

  • Add vanilla

  • Slowly mix in sugar and blend well

**********

No comments: