Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Random Project Day

Well I don't know what it was, but SOMETHING lit a fire under my butt today! Seriously! I even started my day out by exercising! No joke (my legs for sure are not laughing)! Then I got a brainstorm, so I went to Hobby Lobby in search of something. While I was there, I saw this plate for $.67. A bit of a quirky color (which is probably why I liked it) and quite a few noticeable defects (which would explain the price tag of 67 cents). So what else was to be done? I of course had to bring it home to see what I could do with it.
So I dug out my titanium metallic paint, a pack of gems, and some tacky glue. All the makings of quite a strange experiment.
I went around the outside of the plate (where all the biggest scrapes were) with the metallic paint.
Then picked out all the gems that were somewhat in the same color family and glued the down around the edge.


Also metallic painted the plate stand I had, so as to dull down the bright gold that it once was. And here's the finished product.
No, I'm not going to hang it on the wall with a spotlight on it, but I think it makes kind of a fun, (yes, quirky) eclectic something to brighten up a bare spot.

That was project #1. Project #2 was one I've been planning to do with the kids... making Christmas ornaments.

A fun stack of ribbon.
Some paints to match.
And some glass bulbs.


We made a few different kinds... some with paint on the inside and some stuffed with with fluffy stuff (sparkly fluffy pom poms, silver bells, ribbon bits, etc.). They had a great time making them (except for the times when ornaments busted... yes, we had 3 casualties in the process... but no one got hurt, and it all cleaned up okay, so no big deal).

As if that weren't enough, I also decided to make this planter / bucket / thing. Whatever you want to call it. And then I proceeded to hang up my picture frames (that STILL don't have pictures in them of actual family members, or even people we remotely know), bring up one of the recliners so there is a chair in the sitting room (novel idea, I know), and decorate the front room for Christmas... by the way, I officially busted out the Christmas music today. Meagan came in while I was finishing up. She wanted to snuggle. I laid down with her for a second, and she was out. So I got back up to finish picking up my mess. Lilly took my place as her snuggler. So this is the scene beside me right now.

How can you not LOVE that?!
(Sorry for the dark pictures... I was working with Christmas lights and a light from the hallway as my only lighting... didn't want to wake her up and miss the photo.)
Anyway. After all that, I feel like I did something semi-productive today. I am very happy that my front room is looking more and more like a room with a purpose rather than a room we have no furniture for. Now the only problem is that I stole the chair from the basement, so the basement is looking a little naked. *Sigh* Can't win 'em all.
**********

No comments: