Friday, May 4, 2007

It's a cookout!

You are cordially invited to a barbecue - hosted by MY HUSBAND'S FACTORY!

Yikes! I got a phone call this morning during motor development. We were all outside playing, and one of the ladies in the church office came out to find me. Odd, because no one (except Lucas or my neighbor) knew I was there. I figured it was Nicole telling me something about Monique (one of her daycare kids I had with me). Well, it was Nicole, but she was NOT calling about Monique. She was calling to let me know that the plant caught on fire this morning. She said she knew I would want to know, and she didn't want me to get in the car and find out from the radio or something like that. Wow, that was not exactly the phone conversation I was expecting walking in from outside. So many thoughts went running through my mind all at one time. The first one being, I'm so glad Lucas wasn't in there. The second one being, I hope everyone is okay. And the third being...well, I won't go into that.

So as the day went on, between news from Nicole's friend at the plant, and news from what Lucas was piecing together from people at work and at other plants, we started to get an idea of the degree of damage caused. At one point they had closed the highway it's on and had evacuated the businesses in the surrounding area. But I guess they got it contained fairly quickly because only a short time after I got the phone call, I could not see any smoke or anything coming from the building (from a distance at least), and the road was reopened.

Lucas went in to the plant around 4:30. I took him dinner at 8:00ish. At that time, he said they had 2 lines running, and they were getting ready to try to put glass to the one that had been in the midst of the fire (at least I think that's what he said. If I'm wrong, I'm sure he'll correct me when he gets a chance to read this, and then I'll pass that along, for anyone who's interested). It's now almost 11:30. I haven't seen or heard from him since 8:00. So I guess they've still got a bit of work ahead of them. But truthfully, while this was QUITE an inconvenience (and a damper on his hopes for a work-free weekend), it could have been MUCH worse than it really was.

As for me, I just miss my husband, and I was really looking forward to hanging out this evening. He worked 2 weekends ago. Then last week and weekend I didn't see him because of a machine repair (except to deliver late-night dinners). And then this week he was gone in Toledo for training. At this point, I'm hoping to salvage some time to celebrate his birthday Sunday. How long until retirement??? LOL!

(On a lighter note, I haven't forgotten to tell you about Sebastian's music program. I just am too tired, and it's too late to try to do picture editing. I'll try to get those pics posted tomorrow.)

1 comment:

NancyJones said...

wow Im so glad yall are ok. Thank you for visiting my blog :)