Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Freezing Phenomenon

I have a condition. It is a chronic condition that has plagued me for much of my life. I call it a Freezing Phenomenon. When there is a lot to be done, my brain spins into overdrive, and, well, I don't know any other way to describe it but to say that I freeze. It's as though I have too many things to do that I can't prioritize. I can't make myself pick which one to do first. So I do nothing. It sucks. I hate it. And what's worse, when I freeze, I usually get into some yucky junky kind of funk. No good. But today.... I remembered my one word for 2011. INTENTIONAL. I knew that if I were going to come up out of the freezing phenomenon that was threatening my day, it was going to have to be an intentional choice. I was going to have to do something. Anything. On purpose. I chose laundry. There was laundry in the front room to be put away. I put it away. There was laundry in baskets in our room that also needed to be put away. Did that as well. And I sorted and washed a few loads. No, I did not finish everything. There are still plenty of clothes & towels to be folded and hung and put away. And there is much left on my to-do list. But today I did something. I chose not to be frozen by the intimidation of a to-do list that is bigger than I am. And it felt good. And tonight at dinner when Lucas asked me what I did today that was intentional, I actually had an answer. I liked that.

No comments: