Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

More Soup - Spinach Tortellini

This was SO yummy. Really. A bit spicier than I was expecting - in fact Isaac (my spicy food eater and king of black pepper) was the only one of my 3 kids who could get past the first mouth full and I ended up heating up a can of condensed chicken noodle for the other 2... it really was a bit spicy... Isaac went through 3 drinks). I found this recipe in a Betty Crocker Soups magazine, but it required a dutch oven (no, not the kind where you fart under blankets... ) which I do not have, and it sounded all a bit complicated. So I did what I usually do. I made something up. (Thus, the extra spice... sometimes working without a recipe does that to you!) Here's what I used: * A bit of olive oil * About 1/4 of a sweet onion, chopped * 6-ish cups of chicken broth * fresh baby spinach, washed and chopped * matchstick carrots - about a handful * 9 oz refrigerated package of cheese tortellini * some pepper (I used Hot Shots red & black pepper blend) * garlic powder (not sure how much - 1tsp +) * basil (again, not really sure how much... maybe about a tsp as well) * maybe some sea salt if you need a bit of extra seasoning

  • Add the olive oil to the bottom of a big soup pot & saute the onion for a few minutes

  • Then add the chicken broth, spinach, carrots and seasoning and bring to a boil

  • Once it's boiling, add the tortellini and boil until pasta is tender

Easy as that and super yummy. If you aren't one for spice, use just a bit of black pepper instead of red and black... or just skip it altogether.


**********

1 comment:

Becky said...

this looks super yummy, Rebecca. I might have to give it a try.