Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sew Cute!

Once upon a time there was a girl (me) who learned to sew when she was young. She loved sewing, but for some reason or another, somewhere along the way, she just stopped. Some years later (like maybe 20ish???) she got the random idea to start sewing again. The only problem was that her sewing machine had a strange and bizarre contraption for loading the bobbin, and she couldn't figure it out. No bobbin, no sewing.

Then one day, her handsome prince came along and read the ownder's manual. It was pretty vague and not very helpful, but since he's a super smart engineering sort of man, he figured it out anyway. And she thought it was kind of a funny sight to see her handsome prince sitting at the kitchen table sewing back and forth on a piece of scrap fabric (to test the machine set-up, of course). After years of struggling and pretty much not having a clue, all of the girl's troubles were gone (at least as far as threading the bobbin is concerned), and she could sew once again!

*****

Lovely story isn't it? Well, of course it has a fairy tale ending! Today Meagan and I made a side trip on our way to the grocery. We checked out a little sewing place here in town, and I found some really fun fabric (and a sewing book... it's been 20 years, I need a refresher!). We did not find the ribbon we were looking for - she has a project idea, as she usually does, and this one involves altering an old dress of mine to make a Barbie-inspired gown for her. If I ever get it done, I will most definitely post some pictures for you. We did not find the ribbon we were looking for, but we got some good ideas. And we picked a few things up while we were there:

Photobucket

Sewing book, fabric (way CUTE fabric) a hand bag pattern and some sewing sheers. I'm all set! Now I just need to whiddle down my to-do list so that I can actually sit down and sew without feeling like I should be doing 20 other things! But I'm excited! I think I'll keep my fabric out where I can see it. Because I like it. It makes me happy. And maybe it will keep me inspired to knock out my list of things to do so that I can play! Will get back to you if I ever actually sew anything!

**********

2 comments:

Claire said...

Good luck sweetie!! I know you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see what you create. The fabric is adorable. You'll pick up where you left off in no time. That's how it was for me. I love it.