Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Spicy 3-Bean Chili

I was getting bored with my usual chili recipe, so I decided to try something new. I started with a recipe out Betty Crocker's Soups, Stews & Chilies 2011 (Volume 20, #5), then changed it up a bit, cuz that's just what I tend to do. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey
1 pkg taco seasoning
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
a bit of olive oil

28 oz. organic tomatoes crushed with basil
15 oz. organic tomato sauce
2 - 10 oz. diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
16 oz. light kidney beans, drained
1/2 - 15.25 oz black beans, drained
1/2 - 15.25 oz garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
4 oz can chopped jalapenos
4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
2 heaping tbsp chili powder
1 small/medium green bell pepper, finely chopped and seeds removed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

* Heat the oil in a skillet, then brown the turkey, onion & garlic together; Add taco seasoning and stir until evenly coated.

* In a large soup pot, combine all other ingredients; bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low; stir frequently to avoid burning; add meat when it is ready.

* Allow the chili to cook for at least one hour. Super yummy. Perfectly spicy. Lots - LOTS- left over because it made so much. So Lucas will have lunch for the next 3 days. But he likes chili, and doesn't mind leftovers, so it all works out. **********

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!! Sounds so good. I am really proud of the way you enjoy your cooking. Hope your dinner rolls turned out as well as your chili.

Love ya,

Nancy

Rebecca H. said...

The dinner rolls turned out pretty good. I think I might use a tiny bit more yeast next time, and give them a little longer to rise. But we got hungry & impatient. :) still yummy though.