Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Empty Bowls

I love it when I cheat and it works! ... Isn't that a nice lesson to teach my kids??? Scary to know I am one of their major influences, huh?

So I've made the decision to not eat fast food for dinner for the next 3 weeks. I started on Sunday. It's been four days now, and I've only been tempted about 42 times. Really. But I've stuck with the dinner plans, and we have eaten in every evening. Tonight I made chicken pot pie soup. I was going to do it the 'real' way - you know, make a roue, add the broth, blah blah. But I just really didn't feel like going all out. I wanted to just be done cooking, eat, and move on. So I threw some stuff together real quick like a rabbit. And the kids loved it! Clean bowls all around! Momma likes! So here's what I did...




2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup

2 cups of milk

3 tbsp flour

1 cup of chicken broth (or water & granules)

1 package of mixed veggies steamed (you know, peas, corn, green beans, carrots, etc)

1 can of white meat chicken

a bit of pepper and garlic powder




What to do with all the ingredients:

* whisk the chicken soup & milk together

* while the soup is still cold, add the 3 tbsp flour, and whisk together

* add the chicken (drained), veggies, broth, and seasoning.

* mix it all up, let it cook for a bit

* eat.





Again, I had half of the soup left over. I am freezing the remaining mix and I'm going to pull it out in a few weeks and use it for pot pie filling (it's thick enough to not be too runny... should be quite tasty actually). I figure I'll spend $2.00 on a 2-pack of refrigerated pie crust and for about $6.00 (including the croissants we had with the soup and the crust for the pie) I will have 2 meals. Quite a different from $6 per person at a restaurant.

***

No comments: