Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Meatless Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Shells

Yum! That's all I can say. Here's what we had for dinner over the weekend: 1 box jumbo pasta shells (uncooked) 1 14.5 oz jar pasta sauce 15 oz. ricotta cheese 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan garlic powder, oregano, black pepper 1 egg 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out 1 cup water another 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 1) combine the ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and Parmesan, along with the seasonings in a bowl 2) make sure the water is squeezed out of the spinach; then add that to the cheese mixture and stir until it is evenly disbursed 3) combine 1 jar of pasta sauce & 1 cup of water in a bowl To make in a crock pot: 4) cover the bottom of crock with sauce 5) stuff uncooked pasta shells with cheese mixture 6) lay the shells in the crock on top of the layer of sauce 7) cover shells with remaining sauce 8) top with 1/2 cup mozzarella 9) cook on high for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours... shorter cook time will result in more al dente texture in pasta To make in the oven: 4) cover the bottom of casserole baking dish with sauce 5) stuff uncooked pasta shells with cheese mixture 6) lay the shells in the baking dish on top of the layer of sauce 7) cover shells with remaining sauce 8) cover with foil & bake at 375 for about an hour 9) remove, top with 1/2 cup mozzarella 10) bake until cheese is melted & browned and pasta is tender I am not kidding you, my kids ate this up! Meagan took a big bite, got to the spinach, and said, Eeewww, I don't like this. I told her it was the same thing that she eats when she eats all of my spinach & artichoke dip when I get that at a restaurant... that was all it took. she ate the rest with no complaints... in fact, with lots of Yums instead. The best part was that I had about 1/2 a box of shells and 1/2 a bowl of cheese mixture left. So I stuffed the rest of the shells, mixed up another jar of sauce and water, put the dish together in a baking dish, and froze it for another time. So, I ended up getting two meals out of this one as well! I am gonna get spoiled if I keep this up! As far as the cost goes, I got both jars of sauce on sale for $1 each. The mozzarella was $1.67 for the block, $2.50 for the entire container of Parmesan, $1.50 for the pasta, about $2.00 for the ricotta, and $1.00 for the spinach. So two meals for less than $11.00 total (and lots of Parmesan left over). Love it!

No comments: