Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

You Really Should Watch What You Say

As a parent, there are plenty of times when my kids say or do something bizarre... and I look at them and think to myself, "Where did you get that?" Sure, I would like to blame friends or other outside influences for all the bad behaviour, but the truth is, sometimes - yes, on rare occasions - it's actually MY fault (as you all gasp in shock). This week I had one of those moments where I realized that my daughter's choice of words... well... so MAYBE I had something to do with it.

Lucas is traveling again. He was in San Francisco for the previous two weeks, home for the weekend, then off to Indiana. Unfortunately, we are all very familiar with the traveling Daddy drill. I know he hates it... especially having to leave again after such a short weekend.

So, I was talking to him earlier this week about the situation he is in at present... a situation which you might say he is not altogether fond of. See, he has done a good job in the past, and the tough truth is, in this business, the ones who get results get put in the tough positions so that they can do what they do best... get results.

I was driving down the road, Meagan in the back seat, and I was on the phone with Lucas. We were talking about his work a bit... My end of the conversation was, "Well, unfortunately that's just the way it goes. When you do a good job, you get the crap jobs."..... Meagan chimes in from the back seat, "So if you do a GOOD job, you get a CRAP job?"..... to which I quickly tried to explain to her, "That only counts in Daddy's job. YOU have to do a GOOD job at what you do. All the time. Especially in school."..... She paused for just a second then said, "But I don't WANT a crap job." Lucas decided that it only took Meagan one month of school to figure out life. I just had to laugh... then, of course, tell her that we don't say 'crap.' *sigh*

No comments: