Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Dining In Weekend Edition - & a Chili Recipe (sort of)

Yea!! Grand total spending for the weekend was $16.00. We ordered pizza Saturday for dinner... $16 total. No trips through the McDonald's drive through for tea, which is a major accomplishment for me. Tough to do, but I'll take it, at least for one day! On the menu over the weekend was stuffed peppers. I haven't made these in quite a while, so I completely forgot how much my kids actually like these. I made six huge stuffed peppers. And we ran out. Isaac actually requested more, but they were gone. I guess I will have to make more stuffing next time so I can stuff a few extra peppers. I also made some chili this weekend. I don't really ever work off of a recipe for chili, but I tried to jot down some notes on what I used so I can share it with you. Here's the definites:

  • 28 oz. crushed tomatoes

  • 28 oz. fire roasted tomatoes

  • 14 oz. Italian style tomatoes

  • 14 oz. light kidney beans, drained

  • 4 oz. chopped green chills

  • 2 lb. ground beef

  • 1/2 sweet onion, diced

  • 3 cloves garlic, minced

And the not-so-definites:



  • ~ 1/3 cup + chili powder - I started with 1/4 cup, but I kept adding it as I went. 1/3 cup is my best guess.

  • generous dose of garlic powder

  • palm full of dried oregano

  • ~ 1/8 cup cayenne pepper

  • 2+ tsp paprika

  • generous dose of black pepper

  • 1/2 tsp salt (ish)

  • ~ 1/2 pack taco seasoning

Steps:



  • Saute the onions and minced garlic in olive oil for a few minutes.

  • Then add the ground beef to the onions; brown & drain

  • In a large pot, mix all the tomatoes, beans, cooked & drained ground beef, seasonings, and everything else on the list

  • Mix it up and let it stew for as much time as you can or want to give it.

  • Eat.

This most definitely made plenty for us to get two full chili meals plus a few left-over servings. We froze a little less than 1/2 of the pot for another round of chili later on, and we kept the rest on hand for quick lunches, etc. for the next day or so. Worked lovely! Tasted yummy!

No comments: