Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Women drivers! (that's what my dad always used to say!)

Yesterday was the Pittsburgh - New Jersey game (hockey), and Lucas had been planning on taking the boys over to his friend's (Jim's) house to watch the game & let the boys play PS2 w/ Jim's son. Well, at lunch yesterday I was (jokingly) giving Lucas a hard time about leaving me alone all the time while he's out running around, blah blah blah. Well, the next thing I know, it's 4:30, and the doorbell is ringing...It's Jim, coming over to personally invite me to his house (apparently Lucas told him I was whining - LOL). Since the man made a special trip out of his way, I thought it would be rude of me to not go - plus, I'm always up for hockey & getting to know new people! So, I decided to drive separately, so I could take the kids out of the guys' hair if they started to get grumpy. And that's how it all started...

Jim & his son live on a dirt road - one of the many fine features of this great state! His house sits away from the road up on a hill - which I'm sure is gorgeous in the daylight, but I wouldn't know because it was getting pretty dark by the time we showed up at 7:00. Well, because his driveway is so long, only about 1 car length in front of his garage is actually paved. The rest is a gravel-ish path (which was more like a snow-covered ice path last night thanks to our never-ending winter). Lucas parked right behind Jim's truck in the driveway...I was following, luckily a bit of a distance behind. As he puts the truck in park, it starts sliding back at me. So I put my van in reverse and started backing up...but apparently I should have been watching BEHIND me while backing, instead of watching the truck sliding at me!!! THIS IS KEY to not ending up in the snowy yard! WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT LAST NIGHT!!! (pause now to laugh at me...I know I am!)

Ah, just imagine my husband's joy when he gets out of his truck, after finding a place where it would actually stay where he parked it, only to find that I am now parked in the yard! I could tell he was thrilled :) So, he came over and pushed me out...not the end of the story...

Somehow, wherever he pushed me to, I ended up stuck there as well. So, he had to push me out again! The best part of the whole thing, for me anyhow, was that every time I would give the van gas and would be going nowhere, Meagan was in the van cheering me on saying, 'Go Go Go.' So I couldn't help but laugh, which made Lucas think I had just lost my mind (but I tend to laugh when I'm nervous anyhow).

Needless to say, I made Lucas back the van out of the driveway when I left. I wasn't taking any chances!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Dad still says that.... Oh,
what a chuckle he got out of that
story. We have always said Lucas
and your Dad have alot in common.

LOVE IT!
Nancy